I am terrified of awards as they remind me of all those things I loathe – competitions, panels of serious judges comparing my efforts with those of my opponents and assigning points, and finally the award ceremony at which the award goes only to a select few while the losers and non-participants applaud and vow to work harder to become winners.
In fact, I was writing, or at least trying to write, a rant on competitions when Sharon, who writes powerful and thought provoking articles on legal issues at The Social Paralegal, sent me a message saying that she had nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. I honestly believed that I, along with the other nominees, have to now either submit posts or entire blogs and have our work judged. And if this wasn’t the case, we would have to collect the largest number of votes from blog readers. I thought that the award would go to one best.
It did not take me long to realize that I was mistaken.
The Sunshine Blogger Award is an amazing concept – something that I had never come across in the past. Someone who has been following your blog nominates you and six other bloggers for this award. If you have had enough of awards, you are free to reject it. If you choose to accept it, you have to display the award logo on your blog and nominate seven bloggers for the same award. You not only get rewarded for your hard work, but also get the chance to pass on the same award to seven other bloggers who have worked just as hard as you to create an awesome blog. What an fabulous concept! I just love it! This is the best Christmas gift I have ever received so far. Thanks a bunch, Sharon! I really do appreciate it.
If you choose to accept this award, you also have to post answers to seven simple questions. I am now going to attack those questions.
1. What matters most to you?
I want to see that happy smile on my little boy’s face. Always! This is what matters the most to me.
2. When is the last time you’ve gone outside of your comfort zone?
I had to step out of my comfort zone when it was time for my son to go to school. I had to get out of home, face the principal, fill in the application form, and pay the fees. It was like leaving a warm cozy bed and jumping into a pool of ice cold water.
3. What painful situation are you now most grateful for?
I have suffered from depression, low self-esteem, and anxiety attacks most of my life. I have overcome all these problems now, but I still give them credit for making me the tough, gentle person I now am.
4. If you could meet one person from any period in history (it may even be fictional), who would it be?
I want to meet William. I must be crazy! But I love him.
5. What’s your favorite quote?
“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
Of course, I am not sure that the Buddha said it. This writer says that the above quote is a mixed-up version of the Buddha’s statement in the Kalam Sutta found in a book titled “2500 Buddha Jayanthi,” published in 1956.
6. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
I love the writing part of it and then the social interaction. Blogging is not a solitary exercise, it is social interaction too. I learned that after I started blogging.
7. What are your goals for your blog in 2016?
Promote my blog on social media and increase my blog readership.
Interact with other bloggers.
I am a new blogger here, so I do not have many followers. Still, there are some blogs that have touched me deeply.
I would like to nominate the following blogs for the Sunshine Blogger Award.
1. Inspiring Max – This blog is a colorful account of experiences, travels, and thoughts.
2. The Jakarta Blogger – Find some amazing photos and thoughts here.
3. Zero Creativity Learnings – Find knowledge about art and design. This is a blog by a very creative person.
4. thatmishmash – The photographs and poems posted here are really beautiful.
5. Let Me Be Frank With You – I simply love Frank’s witty language and sense of humor.
6. The Cat Chronicles – A blog that cat lovers simply should not miss.
7. The Extra..aamile – Savio Paes’ blog is truly colorful, interesting, and musical.
If you choose to accept the nomination, you must:
1. Display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your blog.
2. Nominate seven wonderful bloggers you know for this award and let them know that you have done so.
3. Answer the above seven questions.
Just as I have done …
Please note that you are under no obligation to accept this nomination.